Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Movie Review - Lone Survivor

There's a few movies like this that are so hard to review.  I don't want to wait too long after seeing it, but it's hard to write or form sentences about it.  I'm nauseous and shaky and in a mental daze. 

First off - I do apologize to the guy who sat next to me.  As anyone who has seen me in an action or gory movie, you know the reactions I have.  Thank you for putting up with my sudden knee jerk reactions to all of the bloody and beyond bloody scenes in this movie.

The movie starts with the Seals training.  I'm sure most of you have seen this before, which I have in many movies.  It's crazy what they put themselves through.  I always feel bad for the guys who get halfway or more through and then they ring the bell to tap out.  They came so far and didn't make it to becoming a Navy Seal.  When you watch this movie, as you should, remember the training.

One of my favorites, Mark Wahlberg (Marky Mark), stars as one of the Navy Seals on a mission to take down one of the top Taliban leaders.  The mission becomes compromised when they are interrupted by three goat herders.  Communications break down, and they have to put their lives up against making the moral choice or the best chance for survival.

A band of four brothers quickly find themselves in a gun fight against an army of Taliban.  To say they fought against all odds, shot, injured and kept on going - is not enough.  If you broke your ankle, then other leg, were shot in the head, would you have the strength to stand up and run through the woods and keep shooting?  Would you risk your life to save your brothers? This movie, which is so well done, will take you through the intense journey of how much the human mind and body can take.

So back to the beginning of the movie with the training.  For the guys I felt bad for who tapped out after they made it halfway.  That feeling has passed, because - they didn't make it halfway.




No comments:

Post a Comment